Negative emotions are just a part of life. Whatever stage of your life you are in, positive and negative emotions will continue to come and go.
However, the reason why an excess of these emotions is dangerous for our well-being is that these negative emotions make us miserable, sad and end up taking away our confidence.
Wouldn’t it be great if we knew how to stop negative thoughts from entering your mind? Ironically, negative emotions help us protect ourselves and let us understand what is good for us and what isn’t.
“Happiness without sadness has no meaning”
But when blown out of proportion, dealt wrongly with or held onto for long times, these emotions can severely affect our lives, moods, personalities and mental and physical health.
If you’re falling prey to these emotions and are wondering how to get rid of negative thoughts spiritually, check with your local church or spiritual guidance counselor.
However, there are a few simple steps that can help you in the meantime or if you choose not to go that route.
Dealing with Negative Emotions
The first step towards getting rid of negative emotions is to know why you feel the way that you do. Many times, all that’s causing the bad mood, frustration or irritation is a day that did not go as planned.
All we need at such a time is to vent it all out, and there are no substantial issues beneath the anger or irritation.
At other times, we know what is making us feel terrible but instead of focusing on the problem, we end up with a trail of unending thoughts that run through our mind and seem hard to get rid of.
Releasing Negative Emotions
If the situation gets out of control at the very moment, the most important thing to do is to
- Become aware of one’s surroundings.
- Take a deep breath and count to ten.
- Remove yourself from the situation as calmly as possible.
- Sit down, drink water and let the adrenaline be flushed out of your system.
- Before you go to bed, spend at least 15 minutes writing down whatever you feel on a piece of paper. Draw, scribble, write – but let it all out.
- If you’re not such a good writer, record whatever you feel in your cell through the voice recorder or try meditation to remove negativity. List everything that is bothering you to help improve depression.
How to Get Rid of Negative Emotions in a Relationship
The next step is to find out if it’s actually something that should cause you anxiety. Whether you’re male or female, trivial things happen, but it’s no reason for a panic attack.
Is it really such a big deal if your kid left the crayons on the floor? Should you really be that angry if your girlfriend or boyfriend forgot to text you back because they were busy?
To help you understand the implications of depression, negative emotions, and disease, we will share the 72-hour pause rule with you. I have found this rule to be extremely effective.
The best way to exercise this rule is to ask yourself these questions:
1. Will this really matter after 72-hours?
2. Is this emotion worth being carried about for such a long time?
3. Will I react the same way 72 hours from now?
By thinking this way, you shall be able to differentiate between what matters and what does not.
Why Negative Thoughts Come in Mind
One of the most basic reasons for negative feelings to take hold of us is that we don’t know how to communicate our feelings to ourselves as well as others. Miscommunication is dangerous. For effective communication skills, make sure to:
- Take your time to react: do not rush into an argument or disagreement.
- Take the time to figure out what is going on.
- Even if you don’t agree with someone, let them speak. Cutting someone off in the middle is not only rude but also leads to further misunderstandings.
- Learn to say ‘no’ to people. If you don’t want to talk or act in a certain way – don’t. Respect your instincts and opinions. Accept your feelings and thoughts with confidence. Only then will you be able to convince others to do that as well.
How to Remove Negative Thoughts from the Subconscious Mind
Adopt a Healthier and Active Lifestyle. Regular exercise and consumption of good food do wonders to your body and your emotions.
According to a research from Harvard, regular exercise not only helps protect memory but also improves thinking ability by removing mind fog and reducing stress and anxiety.
- If you can’t take time out to go to the gym, follow an exercise routine at your house.
- Walk around your garden or street. Look at people; observe things; take some time out for yourself.
- Instead of consuming three large meals in a day, opt for six smaller meals.
- Do not consume large portions of fattening food. Instead, opt for natural and unprocessed food.
- Drink a lot of water, but make sure to not have more than three glasses of water in an hour or you might end up feeling dizzy.
- Try and spend good, quality time with family and friends. Be with people who make you feel happy and secure and are trusted by you.
- Instead of focusing on everything that is wrong in your relationships with others, try and bring forth the positives.
Stop Negative Thinking Conclusion
The main thing to remember in times of negative moods and vibes is that nothing will stay like it is. If something is bothering you, do your best to remove negative thinking from your life.
But if you can’t, learn to manage them. If you feel these negative emotions are uncontrollable and disrupting your life, consult a professional psychologist to help you through this process.
But whatever you do, you need to remember bad times will pass and you will have to take a step forward to get over your negative feelings and emotions.
Learn to control your negative emotions and fill your life with positive emotions and pleasant vibes. Your happiness is worth the struggle.
7 Ways to Clear Your Mind of Negative Thoughts
Image source: Wishful Thinking by joedonsam