If you’re anything like me and a few other women, you google “recipes for one person on a budget” now instead of thumbing through a cookbook. I spent many hours drooling over those pretty meals too expensive for a girl like me to even fantasize about.
Only, then I didn’t realize it didn’t have to be a dream. Did I miss my calling in life? I don’t know, but I’m still enthusiastic every time I see a picture of fine dining foods.
Well, okay… a picture of a stacked quarter-pound burger is beautiful, too, when presented correctly. To tell the truth, I love food… I live to eat and to be served. I don’t want to do dishes afterward, I just want to go on about my day. Is that too much to ask? Well, I hope not. Until I can have what I want, I’m just one person on a budget.
Since I’m not as wealthy as I wish to be yet, I have to ball on a budget. Besides, there are times when you want more than a boss sandwich or a salad. Granted, either can be deliciously healthy and filling meals, but they get old. This means I will have to learn how to cook those foods I aspire to have brought to my table and put them on the table myself.
Vegan cooking for one blog: Plant-Based on a Budget: How I Ate Well on $5 a Day
Nobody eats frozen meals anymore. I have to cook! But here’s the deal: I typically don’t like leftovers although when the food is especially tasty, I wish for more. Leftovers clog up the refrigerator with more dishes I must wash, so cooking for one recipes works best for me when I can’t do take-out or delivery.
With this in mind, here are a few of my favorite dinner for one recipes. I hope you enjoy them.
If you want a different approach to hot wings, try spicy Chinese chicken wings! They are extremely easy to prepare and they are a favorite of mine. You can adjust your seasonings if they are too spicy for you.
- 1/4 cup of rice wine
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1 lb of chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of chili garlic sauce
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Rinse your chicken wings well and pat dry. Take all of your ingredients except for the water and whisk them together using a large bowl. Next, toss in your chicken wings and coat evenly.
- You want to turn your stove on to medium heat. Pour the oil in your skillet before you place the wings in. Once the skillet is warm enough, add your meat, water, and sauce to the frying pan.
- Cover the pan and allow the wings and sauce to cook. You also want to turn your chicken so they cook evenly. About 15 minutes into cooking the wings, take the lid off and allow the sauce to thicken. Generally, this will take about five or ten minutes. When this is done, turn the stove off.
Tip for the first time cook: Meat is done when you can stick a fork all the way through the chicken and there is no evidence of a pink color.
I love seafood, so I’m always thinking about what should I eat if I live alone? I think this scallop gratin recipe is just what I need to appease my taste buds. I can’t afford to buy fresh scallops on a regular basis. When I do, I get them from The Shrimp Lady, so I get a good deal.
Still, to offset the cost, the chef suggests eating this meal with fresh baked French bread. I brush mine with lots of garlic and butter though.
- 8 fresh or dry-pack sea scallops
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more if you like it hot
- 1 pinch kosher salt, or more if you like
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees. Next, you want to coat 2 small gratin dishes with 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
- Whisk the white wine, creme fraiche, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, and lemon zest together until it forms a smooth sauce. Drop the scallops in the sauce and coat. Some people like to toss their scallops so they are evenly coated.
- Next, let them sit in the bowl for about 5 minutes or until the flavors blend. Now, you want to divide the scallops between the gratin dishes.
- Take the remaining creme fraiche sauce and pour over the top of your scallops. Top with Parmesan cheese and tarragon. You should have some butter left. So pour the remaining butter over the top of your last ingredients.
- Bake for 4 minutes. After which, turn the stove up a notch to broil. Wait a couple of minutes and check on them. The scallops should be a beautiful golden brown. They should also spring or bounce back when you touch them. Sometimes this could take up to 4 minutes, however.
Cooking for One Blog: Chicken Bruschetta Pasta Salad
Not all the time am I thinking what can I cook that’s healthy or my budget. I want to treat myself to a nice candlelight dinner because I deserve it. However, I invite my SO when I can catch the filet on sale. We both love steak and potatoes. The chef decides the filet goes nicely with steamed asparagus and boiled red potatoes, of course, seasoned for more flavor.
- 2 4 oz filet mignon steaks
- 1 pinch of salt or more if it suits your taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper, ground to your satisfaction
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- I always start with rinsing the meat off before I do anything and take away any fat. This chef wants you to start by sprinkling the ground pepper and salt on both sides of the steaks.
- Then turn the stove on to medium-heat to prep your non-stick skillet. Once your pan is hot, add your steaks to it. Allow them to cook a minute on both sides. This should be enough time for them to brown.
- Next, turn the heat down to medium-low heat and pour in your vinegar and red wine. Cover the pan and let your steaks cook for about four minutes on each side. You also want to baste the filet mignon steaks with your sauce as you’re turning the meat.
- Just before they are ready, you want to heat your serving plates. When the steaks are ready, put them on the plates, glaze them with a spoonful of the remaining sauce and serve while hot. They should be juicy and enjoyable.
Lucky’s Quickie Chickie
What do you eat when you’re lazy? Lucky’s Quickie Chickie! The key to this recipe is fresh ingredients. It will provide you with a burst of flavor you can’t get in a store. Enhance this recipe with fresh veggies and a salad.
- 6 ounces chicken tenderloin strips
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Turn the stove on to medium-high heat and warm your skillet. Pour in olive oil over a nonstick pan.
- Take the salt and pepper and season your chicken.
- Place chicken in skillet and let it cook until done. This should take up to 5 minutes.
- Next, pour in the balsamic vinegar, honey, and basil. Let this cook for about a minute or so and serve.
Recipes for one: Sweet Potato Bacon Kale Hash
Ultra Easy Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
What are the cheapest meals to make at home? Chicken! I can eat chicken and seafood and not miss a beat. There are just so many ways in which to prepare them, you can’t get tired of serving them at mealtime. Besides, I love to grill.
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast halves cut into 1-inch skinless pieces
- 6 skewers
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 oz) pineapple chunks
- 1/2 onion, cut 1-inch slices
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
Using a clean grate, apply a small amount of oil to it before you preheat the grill. Use the medium-high setting.
Load the bell peppers, onions, chicken pieces, and pineapple slices onto skewers; brush with barbecue sauce. I fave Jack Daniels flavors myself especially when I’m cooking with aluminum foil. The foil contains the juices and all the goodness of the chicken. Besides that, it helps the meat to cook evenly. Grill for about 7 minutes each side.
Chicken should not show any signs of pink and the juices are clear in color.
Easy Meals for One Person
Eating good doesn’t have to be a dream. You can prepare deliciously healthy meals in your own home and without having to attend classes. Technology is a wonderful blessing to lazy cooks like myself. Well, not exactly lazy, but I could think of other activities I could do instead of hanging out with a hot stove.
These 7 easy recipes for one person on a budget really helped me have the best of both worlds… alone time and good food. These meals rate 4.5 stars by the people who tried them. I hope you’ll like them as well. Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog so you’ll get notifications of the next recipe blog.