Thanksgiving Day is about being together and enjoy the moment as well as be thankful for all the things that you have got in life. For a few, Thanksgiving is about the healthy Thanksgiving Day recipes but for everyone else, it’s about the fun and family ties.
Brown turkey on the outside and frozen on the inside with a lumpy gravy is where Thanksgiving starts and Thanksgiving ends! But there are dishes besides turkey which can make your Thanksgiving and let you enjoy it to the fullest.
Read more: How to Avoid the Drama at Thanksgiving
We know how hectic Thanksgiving Day can be and that is why we have added 5 healthy Thanksgiving Day recipes that you can prepare at the last minute. To add, all these dishes are healthy and you can consider a few of them as vegetarian Thanksgiving sides, so no compromise here!
A healthy diet is healthy for your body as well as your stomach. Thus, on Thanksgiving Day, you can keep dishes light and your stomach will thank you. What better way than a salad for this type of dishes? The ingredients for this recipe include –
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 pound of Brussel sprouts
- In this recipe, start by rinsing 1 pound of Brussel sprouts.
- Now, take the sprouts and cut off its stem so you can remove the outer yellow leaves.
- Cut all the sprouts one by one in half right from top to bottom.
- Take all the ingredients and put them into a saucer. Then put on the lid.
- Let the ingredients cook at a high flame for 5 minutes or it until the sprouts become tender.
- When they are tender, remove the cover and serve immediately.
This dish is very easy to prepare and is also healthy for your body.
Baked Hush Puppies
This dish has many ingredients compared to the others, but it can be prepared quickly. Baked hush puppies not only sound interesting but it’s also tasty and healthy!
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ⅓ cup of flour
- ⅔ cup of yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup of milk
- Butter or vegetable oil for greasing
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 onion
- Start the oven and keep it at 450.
- Take a mini muffin pan and grease it lightly with vegetable oil or butter.
- Take a bowl and combine baking powder, cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl take the onion, eggs, milk, and butter.
- Mix the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Take a muffin-sized cup and put a spoonful of butter into it.
- Put the cups into the oven and bake it, until it becomes firm.
- You will notice a golden brown color around the edges when the hush puppies are cooked.
- This recipe will take 30 minutes to cook.
Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
You cannot enjoy the healthy Thanksgiving Day recipes without sweets and chocolates. Dark chocolate is actually healthy for you and that’s why we are helping you with a recipe with this sinfully delicious treat. It was also one of my mother’s great Thanksgiving recipes.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Vanilla, nuts, and chocolate chips, according to taste
- Take a bowl and combine sugar, pumpkin, egg, and vegetable oil.
- In another bowl, mix flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir baking soda and water and dissolve them together.
- Take flour mixture along with pumpkin and mix it well.
- To the mixture, add vanilla, nuts, and chocolate chips.
- After greasing the cookie cup, put it in an oven for 10 minutes at 175° C and let it turn into a light brown.
Cranberry Pear Crisp
If you want to add a pinch of yum Thanksgiving Day, this ambrosial and healthy dish will be a nice addition to your table. Fortunately, for those last-minute guest who arrives unannounced, it’ll only take a few minutes to prepare.
- 2 pears
- 3 cranberries
- 1 and ½ cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of flour
- 8 tbsp of salted butter
- ½ teaspoon of grounded ginger
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Cut the pear into pieces and put it into a 9-inch pan.
- On the top, add cranberries and sprinkle sugar over the berries.
- Layer the remaining pears on the top of the cranberries.
- Next, take a bowl and mix the flour, sugar, and ground ginger.
- Cut the butter into half and mix it with the flour.
- Make sure the mixture doesn’t have any chunks in it.
- Sprinkle this mixture on the fruits.
- Place the pie pan into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- When the top of the crisp turns into golden brown, it’s ready to serve.
You can serve the dish at room temperature.
These healthy Thanksgiving Day recipes have amazing flavors while being very low on calories. What’s beautiful about having Rosemary Hummus on the menu is it only takes a few minutes to cook.
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of roasted garlic
- ⅔ cup of pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ½ teaspoon of freshly minced rosemary
- Water and salt as per requirement
- Take peeled cloves and roasted garlic in a pan and cook it for 20-25 minutes with olive oil.
- Put all the ingredients except the rosemary in a blender and blend until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add water and oil as per the requirement.
- Add the rosemary into the mix.
To add to your Thanksgiving appetizers, serve this with bread, carrots, apple slices, or wheat toast.
All the above are easy Thanksgiving recipes. They are quick to prepare as well as good for you. These recipes will make sure you enjoy your Thanksgiving Day meal along with your family members. You now no longer have to spend your entire day preparing food!